Sunday, July 8, 2012

Welcome!

Friends, Family, Countrymen (and non-countrymen alike)!

Welcome to my new project called Peppers and Onions! This blog will be dedicated to all things culinary that I experience and experiment with in my kitchen and in the outside world! For me, I relax when I cook. I love to play around with veggie combinations, add new twists to old dishes, and just play with my food. My (sometimes unwilling) husband to be, James, has the task of testing out all of my experiments. Thankfully he's not too picky!

I dive into all sorts of breads, desserts (cakes and cupcakes mostly), and main courses (Italian being my favorite). My favorite ingredients to use are fresh veggies (straight out of either my Grandpa's or my best friend's garden), chicken breast, and whole wheat pasta.

My goal is to post at least 2 recipes per week and blog more than that. It could happen, right?! I'll start my first post off with what I made for dinner tonight, creamy Italian chicken served over rice.

3 small chicken breasts thawed
1 medium onion (yellow or white)chopped
3/4 c heavy cream
2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 c chicken broth
2 TBS Italian Blend seasoning
Salt and Pepper to taste
3 tsp olive oil

1. Add 1 tsp olive oil to skillet and heat far approximately 45 seconds. Season thawed chicken with salt and pepper and place in heated skillet. Let cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.

2. Add garlic, onion and remainder of oil to the skillet and cook on medium heat until onions are soft. Stir frequently so garlic does not burn . **Side note** If you don't want to use minced garlic, garlic powder will work. Burnt garlic tastes like arse.

3. Slowly add cream and broth, stirring well after each addition. Stir in Italian seasoning and more salt and pepper if desired.

4. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes. Let sit off heat for 5-7 minutes to allow sauce to thicken. Serve over warm rice (I prefer plain white rice, but any rice will do).

If you follow directions, this is how your final product should look. (Excuse the quality, I took this with my iPhone in my dark living room).

No comments:

Post a Comment