Monday, July 9, 2012

Mixed Veggies!

Today was a small experiment in mixed veggies. I'm not typically a fan of mixed anything, except salad. Mixed fruit? Gag. Traditional mixed veggies? Gag. Mixed food in general? No thanks... I'll pass.

The fiance and I have been discussing the fact that we really don't eat enough vegetables. We eat meat (borderline carnivores here), we eat grains, we eat fruits, but we rarely eat veggies. We like veggies, don't get me wrong, but them same stuff gets awful boring.

In the spirit of needing more veggies, I decided to switch things up. James grilled some simply amazing pork chops on the George Foreman tonight, so I made my twist on mixed veggies. I was a touch hesitant at first, simply because I don't normally mix foods.

It wasn't as colorful as I wanted it to be, but that probably comes from the need to use frozen veggies instead of all fresh. **Side Note** We are (currently) a single income house, so most of the stuff I do will be economical, hence the usage of frozen veggies (read cheap and keeps longer) and garden grown (read Free) produce. It was pretty healthy, at least I think it was, and really quick to make! Dinner was done in less than 30 minutes!

This recipe made enough for a single serving for each of us (about 3/4 cup each). It can be changed, most of this I just "eye-balled" (my fancy way of measuring!).

Corn about 1/2 cup Frozen
Roma Tomatoes 2 medium Fresh
Squash 1/2 large Fresh
Broccoli 1/4 cup Frozen
1/2 c chicken stock
various spices to taste (I used salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic)

Mix everything in medium sauce pan and heat until veggies are tender and most of the liquid is gone. Season to taste.




No comments:

Post a Comment